Internet AdventureThe Internet enables anyone to access a wealth of information from the convenience of a computer. You can do research for school, check the weather, shop, play games, send email, or talk to your friends.
The Internet enables anyone to access a wealth of information from the convenience of a computer. You can do research for school, check the weather, shop, play games, send email, or talk to your friends. It is an awesome informational system. However, people and advertisers can sometimes use the Internet inappropriately. All of the Requirements for this Badge require Internet activities and your parents should approve them before you begin your Internet Adventure.
__________ 1. (T) Start your Internet Adventure at the AHG girl website. Go to www.americanheritagegirls.org/girls. Print the Internet Safety Pledge found on the AHG website. Read it, sign it, and give it to your parents before continuing on this Badge. Using your computer, make a poster with a list of safety rules for using the computer safely and considerately. Ask your teacher or parents if you can display your poster in your school computer area or near your computer at home.
__________ 2. (T) What is the Internet? Talk with your parents or Leaders about how to access it.
__________ 3. (T) Complete the Tenderheart Treasure Hunt. Find your list of items by searching different sites.
• Find a story about a person of faith who would have lived in the 1900’s.
• Find what year AHG was started.
• Find three facts about your favorite animal.
• Find three facts about your state.
• Find your church website.
• Find the closest park to your home.
• Find a children’s activity offered by the library closest to you.
__________ 4. (T) Send an email to a friend or relative. Copy your parents or another family member. Reply to an email message and forward a message to a friend. What does it mean to forward an email message?
__________ 5. What is a blog? Find the American Heritage Girls blog on the Girls Only website. Submit a blog post, including a picture, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. A blog post could even be something written for the Creative Writing Badge.
__________ 6. With your parent’s permission, play a game on your favorite kid’s website.
__________ 7. (E) If you did not earn this Badge as a Tenderheart, complete Requirement #1.
__________ 8. (E) When you are using the Internet, you will be coming in contact with many new terms. Find out what is meant by the following:
__________ 9. (E) Complete the Explorer Treasure Hunt. Find the items on your list by searching different Internet sites.
• Find a map and directions on how to get to your house from your AHG meeting location.
• Find out what company website is found at www.eat.com.
• Find a recipe online.
• Find out how many states have AHG Troops in them.
• Find the locations and times of a movie or play.
• Find out how national companies may support your school or a special organization (for example, through collections of labels or box tops for redemption).
__________ 10. (E) What is social media? List 5 positive and 5 negative things about social media.
__________ 11. Information sharing is a great way to use the Internet. Share a poem or short article about something you did with your Troop, a good idea for a service project, a fun field trip or an idea for a new AHG Badge. Send as an attachment to the AHG website via email@example.com.
__________ 12. What is instant messaging? What is video chat? Can you talk with people live online for free? What are the limitations and restrictions? Have a conversation using instant messaging and video chat with a friend or relative.
__________ 13. Find the American Heritage Girls blog on the Girls Only website. Learn how to leave comments and "like" current blog posts. Submit a blog post, including a picture, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. It could even be something written for the Creative Writing Badge.
__________ 14. (PI/PA) If you did not complete this Badge at a lower Level, complete Requirement #1.
__________ 15. (PI) Complete the Pioneer Treasure Hunt. Find the items on your list by searching different Internet sites.
• View the AHG Promo video on the AHG website.
• Find out about a youth activity or an interesting event that is happening in your church or school by visiting their websites.
• Find on the Internet a map and directions on how to drive from your house to a major theme park in a different state.
• Find out when your state joined the union.
• Look at the current weather and time in Tokyo, Japan.
• Find out if your local bookstore has a copy of a good book that you would like to read.
• Find out if you can renew, reserve, or order a book at your local library online.
__________ 16. (PA) Complete the Patriot Treasure Hunt. Find the following items by searching different Internet sites.
• Find last season’s win/loss record for a sport at your favorite high school, university, college or professional team.
• Find the official website of your favorite movie theater and find the local show times.
• Find the subscription information for a magazine for which you don’t currently subscribe.
• Find the Bible online; figure out how to change which version you are using.
• Find the schedule of concerts for your favorite musical group.
• Find the current world records for your favorite sport.
• Find a list of other movies or TV shows in which your current favorite actor or actress has appeared.
• Using a travel site, find the price for a round trip ticket from your home city to London, England.
• Find the price of a book you would like to read on a bookstore’s website.
• Using the website of any public library, find the call number of a book you would like to read.
• Figure out how to visit AHG’s official Facebook page and Instagram by going through the AHG website.
__________ 17. (PI/PA) Interview someone who is at least 40 years old and discuss the changes that the Internet has made to his/her life in the past ten years. Consider both personal and work life in your interview. What changes does he/she view as positive, which as negative?
__________ 18. (PI/PA) Visit a virtual museum in another country. What are its street address and hours of operation? What is the admission price for a student and for an adult? Does it have any special featured exhibits at this time?
__________ 19. (PI/PA) Learn about web etiquette. What are some guidelines to adhere to on personal social media page? What is appropriate behavior in a chat room, instant message or online game? How should an email to a potential employer differ from an email to a friend? When is it appropriate to post personal information or pictures? How can you continue to be a young woman of integrity while using social media?
__________ 20. (PI/PA) Visit the website for one of your hardware or software manufacturers and locate the customer service or technical support area. Find the questions and answers that are posted by other users. Learn how to post your own questions.
__________ 21. Send an electronic greeting card to a friend or relative. Select your colors, graphics, and text. (If there is not a special occasion, make it a friendship or “thinking of you” type card.)
__________ 22. Take a virtual hike through a National Park or historic landmark.
__________ 23. Take pictures at a school function, family gathering or AHG activity. Download them to your computer and send them to a friend, relative or email@example.com. What format is the file? Will the person receiving it be able to open it? How big is it?
__________ 24. What is a meme? Discover the history and origins of the word. What is a gif? Use your own AHG pictures to create an AHG-inspired meme or gif! Post your memes or gifs on social media, or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
_________ 25. Find the American Heritage Girls blog on the Girls Only website. Learn how to leave comments and "like" current blog posts. Submit a blog post, including a picture, by emailing email@example.com. It could even be something written for the Creative Writing Badge.
__________ 26. Create and maintain your own blog for a month. What does it take to sustain a blog long term? How do people become full-time bloggers?
(Leader’s Signature – Tenderheart Level) (Date)
(Leader’s Signature – Explorer Level) (Date)
(Leader’s Signature – Pioneer/Patriot Level) (Date)